Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » Site Specific

[sticky]

Hosting Issues and Concerns

(79 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Sean
    Founding Member

@cthelight: We have multiple things in the works and blue host is on the list. Basically I'm trying to get the best possible solution for the community that will be long term. Rob is also on the list, but I am waiting for him to contact me... hey Rob, contact me :bigsmile:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Colum McGaley

@sean: If you want to test out their servers. Email me and ill let you in on my account. Their not as good a decated but $100 per year aint that bad. And you can make $75 on referls. I don't want to put words in your mouth.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Just as a free tip to you cthelight, and to anyone else that don't know about unlimited hosting (especially on a shared server). While hosting services offering unlimited hosting won't charge you for extra extra data transfer, they also don't give it to you. It's like saying drink all the soda you want, but your limited to half of a coffee straw. I'm sure they are great for many websites (I actually know a couple of people that work for bluehost), but OD needs a lot more bandwidth than bluehost or other shared server hosting companies offer. My thought are: If we can make things work out with Rob's hosting I say go for it. Even if things start to go south for some reason a year from now, we can always switch our hosting again. Just make sure that we are getting backups outside from Rob's box.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Sean
    Founding Member

@SuperiorDesign: You hit the nail right on the head, which is why I've said that we need dedicated hosting, and a server that's configured correctly and multiple upstream providers for bandwidth like you say. As for Rob's offer of hosting, I'm still waiting for Rob to get into contact with me. I'll try emailing him directly after this comment since maybe he didn't catch my comments for him to contact me.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Gnome

Sean: no word here either.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. niemion

Posted By: gnomeSean: no word here either
    Bear in mind different time zones. Rob is sleeping. :shocked:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. Sean
    Founding Member

@niemion: I am aware of different time zones. I usually wait at least 24 hours for a reply. It's been longer then 24 hours now but I'll still wait another 24 hours as good measure.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Colum McGaley

:(
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Sean
    Founding Member

Still waiting to hear back from Rob either in a comment here or via email. Not hearing back only confirms to me that paid hosting is the way to go... 24/7 customer support and doesn't matter what time zone you are in. Rob, please comment back or contact me directly via my site contact form.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. well.... its good to find this out now
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Rob

Hey I did contact both you and gnome yesterday via the email contact here at OD, 24 hours ago (9am English time yesterday, ie just as I got up). Perhaps the contact side of the site isn't working. I presumed the only reason I hadn't had a reply was because you two hadn't been on yet. Contact me via rob@ruleroftheworld.co.uk (cc in pinkmunkeys@gmail.com as well as just to confirm its definitely not a problem with my server or pop3 as it'll be going through gmail instead) I'm going to send another test email now via the contact form just to clarify if it's working or not. EDIT:There shouldn't be any problems getting hold of me via email I check them all day everyday, where as OD I only come on 3-4 times a day, throughout the day.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. Rob: The E-Mail here hasn't worked right in ages. It's unreliable at best. That's why they said "Get into contact with gnome and myself via our personal site contact pages"
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Sean
    Founding Member

@Rob: I will contact you via your email address you provided in your comment. @Aaron: Exactly correct.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. Sean
    Founding Member

@Rob: As mentioned a few comments above, get into contact with gnome and myself via our "personal site contact pages" (not OD profile email links) so we can discuss a couple details before bringing it to the community. Just click on our names in the forum which takes you to our profile pages, then click the link for our URL's. Thanks in advance.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Sean
    Founding Member

Just wanted to let the community know that Rob got into contact with me. I'll have more updates once I talk with him via email about more specific details.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. Sean
    Founding Member

After looking over Rob's offer and talking back and forth via email, we are going to go with a paid hosting solution. Nothing against Rob, his offer was very nice but we need 24/7 support and a company that has 24 hour monitoring as well as handling server updates and security patches, etc.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Sean
    Founding Member

This thread is for discussion about hosting for the site, which as I already mentioned above, we are going with a paid solution. Anything else that's off topic will be removed from the thread.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Colum McGaley

The I would recommend: Surpass Hosting On this plan: Single Processor Multi Core Series With a 10mbit uplink
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Sean
    Founding Member

@cthelight: Thanks for the link. Looking at what they offer, we would be somewhere between the $90.00 USD per month to $200.00 USD per month range. I just sent them an email asking for a quote based on what we currently require based on server stats, bandwidth, managed servers, etc.
    Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.