Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » Marketplace

Dell Server Up For Sale

(15 posts)

No tags yet.

1. joncarico

Thought you guys might want first dibs? It's a Dell PowerEdge 2400. If you have an offer, you can email me at admin (at) joncarico.com. Or if you have any questions or comments, you can just leave them in this post. :)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. Shaun Kester

More detailed specs? Shipping? :confused:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Dean

what sort of price you looking for would be good too :)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. joncarico

The link I left gives you the exact specs of the server, it comes with the installation disks, original paperwork, everything. And I was thinking about $1000, but it can be negotiated. :)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. Sean
    Founding Member

How old is the server? I know it has PIII processors but hard drives, especially in a server / heavy load environment are prone to die around 5-6 years old.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. joncarico

The server was manufactured in 2000. A friend of mine let me have it after his workplace upgraded their servers. It wasn't a huge network, and I think the drives are newer than the server itself, but I'd have to go check. :)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. Mark West

Posted By: joncaricoAnd I was thinking about $1000, but it can be negotiated. :)
    I don't mean to ruin your chances of a sale but you can purchase a new dell server for less than this so I think you need to re-think your price. Where I work we've given to charity higher spec servers than this. -Mark
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. joncarico

You can also buy some more than that. The 2400 was originally sold for $9000, as shown in the link I left to in my first post. So I think $1000 isn't that much for this model.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. Shaun Kester

I really hate bursting bubbles, but trade off with trying to explain where I assume some of the other members are coming from.. Average price on eBay is about $200~$250. I'm not sure how much time you spend in the hardware market, but from my experience profit margins are small and growing smaller each year. I've all but left hardware and focus solely on my software. If you've ever bought a car and been hit by depreciation, realize that the computer hardware market is just as bad, if not worse. Take liberally with salt as you see fit...
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. Sean
    Founding Member

Posted By: joncaricoThe server was manufactured in 2000. A friend of mine let me have it after his workplace upgraded their servers. It wasn't a huge network, and I think the drives are newer than the server itself, but I'd have to go check. :)
    Well that would make the server 7 years old and the size of a network doesn't necessarily tell you how much of a load the machine had on the hard drives. If the machine was built in 2000 and the drives are newer then that, I wonder when they got replaced? Maybe 2005? If they are 2 years old, that's pretty safe that they'll last a couple more years, however I would say $1,000 is a lot for this machine, especially based on the overall age and system specs.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. leveller

i too think the price is just a little high, however you do get a fully raid confgured system, which even now, with the right operating system would be able to handle many users, it's really wether you can justify the business case for spending that that amount of money on this machine, if you reckon it will return you a profit for what you are paying then why not. Remember that although the 15000 rpm drives you can buy today are much bigger, you would still be looking at many thousands of dollars for a fully configured multiple redundant disk array. If you're looking for a sql server then maybe not, but as a web server it is OK.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. joncarico

Wow. You guys are right, I checked Ebay, and the servers are going for about $500. It was kind of steep. So how about for $500? Would anyone be interested? If you did buy it, you would have to pay for shipping, because I'm sure it's high if you live in another country. :)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. Sean
    Founding Member

FYI Jon, I recently shipped a 2U server across the USA via UPS ground and it ran around $50.00 USD not counting the packing material (box, bubble wrap, etc.)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. joncarico

Really? I haven't ever shipped anything before, so I figured it more than that. Thanks for the info. So yeah, shipping is free. :)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  15. amulo

I think the price is too high, would you consider negotiating

Posted 5 months ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.