Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » General Talk

Get that domain

(16 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by pseudoxiah
  • Latest reply from anbu159

Tags:

1. pseudoxiah

So, I domain I want has just expired. It currently says "Parked free, courtesy of...".

Assuming the owner will not renew the registration, what's the best way to get my hands on it?

Assuming he may renew it, should I contact him now and express my intention to buy it or wait until he renews it?

I want that domain. /* evil */

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. tomw

There was discussion about this in this thread:

/forum/topic.php?id=2959

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. pseudoxiah

I'm sorry for what's going on with OD and OSWD, however that thread does nt help me.

The site has been inactive for a while and now it appears as parked. I'm curious if a service like pool.com could help me snap this domain.

Also, I find the name pretty good but i didn't detect any other particular interest for it on the web (except that another tld has beed registered 2 weeks ago). What do you assume are the risks if I wait for it to be deleted?

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. kirby145

I am not experienced at this, but I would think you have to contact the site owner, in case he owns the domain or name associated with it.

Though you may have no luck with that seeing as it's hard to track people who are inactive

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. tomw

Sean posted a message below on that thread:

tomw said:

The domain was expired Sunday. I made an attempt of snapping it up but was informed by GoDaddy.com that it has been renewed. OSWD.org domain also expired but it is now parked for AUTORENEWPERIOD.

Just because a domain expires for a couple days, it takes up to 60-90 days before it's released back into the wild, so trying to snap it up so quickly won't do you any good.

I actually just sent Frank (OSWD) an email to his unpublished email address and also left him a message on his phone. If I hear anything, I'll let you all know.

It would be a shame to let a 10 year old domain go away like that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. pseudoxiah

I appreciate the help but I am still confused. The guys here didn't eventually snap OSWD so somewhere they missed something.

When Sean contacted Frank he probably decided to renew the domain, if he wouldn't he may have lost it. My concern now is that the owner may renew it and then try to sell it to me for a high price.

My other concern is that if I wait until it is released I may lose it for some other reason. What do you thing would be the best solution in this case? And does backordering work and what are the cances?

Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. tomw

I think the chance of getting it from backordering is slim if other people are also interested in getting it. In this case the domain name will most likely be put up for auction. As Sean has pointed out it may take up to 60-90 days. Hosting companies such as GoDadding.com has a service where they will try to get the domain name for you for a fee.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. pseudoxiah

Ok, I kind of got it now, hopefully I'll make the right decision. Thanks for help.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. tomw

I just got an email from GoDaddy with the following:

We have noted that the following changes occurred between 11/08/2009 and 11/09/2009:

The domain status has been changed:
    OLD: OK
    NEW: CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED
    CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED
    CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
    CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED
    for the following name(s):
    OSWD.ORG

Is that means the owner can't do anything with the site?

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. Dean

No, I think that just means the domain is locked so it can't be stolen.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. tomw

Thanks. I guess that's one way for the owner not to lose the domain next time it expired.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. pseudoxiah

I not sure but I think that's a setting that doesn't allow the customer to modify the domain's credentials, they can only be modified through the registrar.
    I also remember something about the customer being able to change this.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. Sean
    Founding Member

@tomw and @pseudoxiah: Being a domain reseller, I can tell you exactly what this means and what Frank did.

Approximately one month ago the oswd.org domain expired. I contacted Frank, then he renewed it for one year (until September 2010).

Now just a few days ago on November 9, 2009 he added one more year of renewal to the domain name, so now it will expire in September 2011.

Frank also turned on domain transfer lock, so that way no one can transfer the domain away unless he unlocks it from within his domain registration control panel.

I know a lot of people really want the oswd.org domain name, but at this point the only way you or anyone else would get it is if Frank sells it or if in September 2011 it expires and Frank doesn't renew it for 60-90 days, then it will go on the open market.

Basically because you have a domain expire/snap watch in GoDaddy for the domain name, anytime Frank makes changes (renewals, domain lock/unlock) you will get a similar notification.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. papab30

Funny that he'll go and renew the domain name, but won't doing any kind of updates to the site. Must just be a simple money maker as it is right now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. pseudoxiah

I have another question about expiring domains.

If I check the whois of a domain I want, under Whois Record it says last updated October 2008, expired October 2009, however under Registration it says last updated October 2009, expires October 2010.

Does this mean the owner renewed it and the whois record did not update or does that mean the registrar has locked the domain and so he won't lose it after it expires or does that have any other meaning?

Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. anbu159

Ya you can get the domain as your wish, the every reliable adventure available in the http://www.thewebpole.com/ site, they are provide the cheapest domains for you, my websites domain all are get from their without any trouble .

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.