Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » General Talk

Novice in need of help, please

(11 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by newbie2009
  • Latest reply from papab30

No tags yet.

1. newbie2009

Hello everyone,

I am a novice, and by novice, I mean the lowest level of all other novices. I'm hoping someone on the board can help me move forward with creating my website. Fortunately, I'm otherwise computer literate and I downloaded the template, watched a tutorial that I found on another website about CSS Framework. I am editing the website with Wordpad but now that I am nearly finished editing the text I need to go to the next stage.

Can someone please help me by telling me which programs I will need to continue in order to make the website functional?

I don't have a large budget to work with, so I would really appreciate any recommendations for open source or very inexpensive programs. I'm guessing if the program is mainstream, I can also find a video tutorial online as I did for CSS Framework.

Thank you,
    Samantha

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. NickyD

Hi Samantha:
    If you are looking for a free web authoring tool, try Komposer.

http://www.kompozer.net/

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. newbie2009

Thanks so much for replying so quickly Nicky, I really appreciate the help!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. wfiedler

And the next step will be to get your website online.

For this you will first need a hosting company. As I'm not from the USA, perhaps somebody here can suggest some free or paid hosters.

Then you will need a so called FTP client software to upload your files.

FileZilla (http://filezilla-project.org/) will do the job. It's also for free.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. newbie2009

Thanks wfiedler,

I've decided to use Godaddy.com for hosting. I'm not sure if they provide FTP client software, but when I spoke with Godaddy last week and they said once I've made my website and purchased my domains from them that there will be a section within their website to upload my website files (I am guessing this is the FTP? or do I need filezilla as well?).

For me, the hard part has been trying to figure out how to make the website myself because I didn't like the templates that Godaddy offered via its website, it was a website maker called Website Tonight but none of the templates were suitable and each template looked very cheaply made. Which was a bit confusing because they charge $5 per month and yet so many free templates look so much more professionally made.

I've just finished watching a three tutorials on Kompozer and I think I should be able to get the hang of it, fortunately, it is wysiwyg and seems straight forward. I will try my hand at it first thing tomorrow. Fortunately, I enjoy learning new things, but I doubt I'll ever get the hang of the many acronyms used, thank God for Google.

Much appreciated!

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. wfiedler

It's better to upload the files via an FTP client like FileZilla. It's much more faster and more comfortable than the upload function hosting companies provide.

Why don't you look for some free designs here or at http://www.getfreewebdesigns.com/ ? There are tons of nice looking templates, which look much better and which will fit your needs.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. newbie2009

Wfiedler,

Thanks again for the info. I'm on the West Coast, so my "first thing in the morning" is your afternoon, so I'm just getting started with trying Kompozer now. I hope I wasn't mistaken, but I thought that I could use these templates with Kompozer? Is my assumption correct? I suppose I'll find out in a second when I open the program. The first thing I did the morning was create a system restore point just in case there are any incompatibilities with Kompozer and the programs currently on my computer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. pseudoxiah

Never underestimate the power of a woman among 100 men!

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. newbie2009

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, so far so good. I am almost finished editing the template.

Pseudoxiah,
    I'd like to think the others would have helped even if I wasn't a woman. We're communicating via computer, not standing face to face, so I don't see where the benefit of being a woman comes into play in this scenario.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. pseudoxiah

Samantha, please don't get me wrong. It's ok that you want to find your way around and I have nothing against you. It's just that it's funny that everytime a woman raises a problem an army of men jumps into her rescue and the topic reaches most popular within the first 3 days. It's just funny and I was being ironical.

Offtopic, I know :)

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. papab30

Interesting enough, did the newbie ever get the help that they were looking for?

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.