Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » General Talk

Fixes and issues

(58 posts)
  1. papab30

How is it that the person who is the so called 'keymaster' can show up, make a few random posts on the fourm, yet can't take time out to at least say, "hey, I need help"?

Man, come on, be a leader here. Step up to the plate do what needs to really be done here. A stale site is not a productive site. Fix the issues, give the site away, sell the site to someone, anything other than just let it sit here gathering dust.

We all saw you on here making a couple of forum posts, so come on, sit down for 15 minutes and let us all know what's going and where we're going on this little trip.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. Gnome

Give me two days. I will be able to start looking into things next week. (I can haz FTP)

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. papab30

@Gnome - Any updates?

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. kirby145

If you do get ftp access some improvements can definitely be made

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. pseudoxiah

like switching back to the old theme :)

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. yes please.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. pseudoxiah

Sunny days ahead. WooHoO!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. papab30

Don't get your hopes up just yet. Communication would be really nice. The last time we heard from anyone was four days ago.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. Gnome

Update: My FTP username is not working.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. papab30

And this surprises me why?

I'm really not knocking you personally Gnome. I know that you really do want to help and you have put in a lot of time moderating this website. So for you to say that your username and password isn't working for FTP access, well it's almost par for the course for everything else around here.

Please keep us updated on your status.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. Gnome

I now have FTP access to the designs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. papab30

You have access to the designs? I thought you were supposed to have access to the baseline code so that some fixes could be done. Seems strange, but this is between you and Joe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. NickyD

Maybe he meant FTP access to the Open Design Web Page?????

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. i say we brute force root username and password.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. Gnome

Conner: that won't work. Joe could easily have Arabic and Hebrew characters in that password, making it essentially unbreakable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. uberlemurguy

or maybe he hasn't changed it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. pseudoxiah

Let's DDOS it and destroy everything :evil: Our way or the doom way. Anarchy baby!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. NickyD

or go to GFWD.....

http://www.getfreewebdesigns.com/

It stays current.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. I jsut wish there was a community system there. :(

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. NickyD

Maybe one day Connor. That would probably be the end of this site when it happens.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. Sean
    Founding Member

conartistdesigns said:

I just wish there was a community system there

Funny you should mention that. Check out the GFWD's blog:

http://www.getfreewebdesigns.com/blog/

-Sean

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. tomw

From what I see GFWD is no differ than OSWD, OWD, and OD.

OSWD was owned and control by Frank; OWD by MonkeyMan and then sold to Shay so the ownership changed; OD, as everyone here knows, is owned by LobsterMan. As far as I can see GFWD is owned by Sean, perhaps partnership with Aaron. The designs are open to the public but the sites are closed. There are few individuals allowed to get in to help thing out such as designs approval and keeping the forum clean but no one is giving the keys to any private rooms.

Right now I don’t see GFWD will be different as long as it is not community owned.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. Gnome

Tom: The community has so much trouble making decisions.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. pseudoxiah

What exactly do you understand under "community owned"?
    It must not be owned in order to be supported by.
    Canonical is privately owned and the community around Ubuntu handles stuff pretty well.
    If they can do it why can't we do it?

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. tomw

Last year I submitted a proposal of creating a network for the web designers.

/forum/topic.php?id=2451

The objective was to have a way for the designers to showcase and share their works without relying on a single source of provider. Some members here were supportive about this but not enough people participated so the project was left unfinished.

I would like to restart this project if at least one person here helps out. Anyone? Papab30???

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. Sean
    Founding Member

tomw said:

As far as I can see GFWD is owned by Sean, perhaps partnership with Aaron.

Aaron and I are equal partners in the site and share the work load and other duties around the site. We both have the exact same access to everything on the site. We also talk on a regular basis and have weekly meetings on things for the site. We are a real team and partnership.

From day one GFWD's has been a privately owned site, but with "community" support. We've made sure to have full disclosure on things like this so we don't run into any issues.

As seen on GFWD's, we have plenty of support from users who haven't set foot on any of the previous design sites (OSWD, OWD, OD) in over year, so we must be doing something right.

Keep in mind that I was an admin at different times on each of those sites and later left to the way side when things went bad or got sold off, so I personally know all the good, bad and ugly that can happen with a site like this, which is why we've taken so much time to do various things on GFWD's.

GFWD's isn't going to be for everyone, and that's fine. I've learned being apart of many design sites over the past 8-9 years that you can not please everyone and like Gnome pointed out, communities (at least design ones) have a hard time making decisions, which is part of why GFWD's was started.

Anyway, we have carved out a little piece in the huge Open Source Design arena and so far things are going smooth and everyone involved with the site - design authors or users - are very happy with how we are running things.

tomw said:

Last year I submitted a proposal of creating a network for the web designers.
    I would like to restart this project if at least one person here helps out.

I think why you didn't get any traction 11-12 months ago is because you wanted to base everything on your ztml.

I know you spent years developing ztml, but there are so many other systems already in place with huge support bases, and as you are seeing from the lack of use of your ztml, it would be a huge uphill battle IMHO.

I do wish you the best with it and maybe someone will want to help you out, just keep in mind these types of projects require a ton of time and energy and not everyone is up to the task.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. papab30

A little off topic, but that's about standard for the forums.

Look, I started this discussion because I saw that Joe had been on the site to make two forum posts. One was advertising for help. The other to a response to another discussion. If Joe had the time to do that, why not just jump on here and say something about the status of the site. "I'm too busy" or "I've lost my way" or just "I don't want to do this anymore". I'd be good with an up front honest statement.

Then we have other people who come on here saying that they have access. Not a problem, but the access that they're given seems rather pointless when you really think about it. Access to the designs. To me that seems to say that I'm not going to trust you with the site, but I will trust you with the content. And why FTP[ access to the designs, can't you access that through the admin interface anyways.

So we're back to square one again as far as I can see. Actually we probably never left. Will someone with some authority just go into the code an fix the issues that have been lingering for the past 6 months. It's a freaking embarassment. How hard can this be. Just fixes the issues and then get out. I'm not asking for the keys, or access or anything. Just asking for someone to take some responsibility around here for things.
    That's it. That's all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. pseudoxiah

frustrated, papab? :)

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. Gnome

Through the admin interface we can approve designs, and deal with posts, and I can edit/delete anything written by anyone on the forum. Now I can fix a 'broken' design, but you are right, it doesn't make much difference.

I'm going away for a while, but I'll be back. Someone else should approve designs in the interim.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. tomw

Sean, I understand and I could not agree you more. However, my point is to create something “community owned”; that is, without the same person to dictate or render any final outcome, this include who could or could not join the community; I don’t think your site fit this description. Nevertheless, I can see your site is doing very well and supported by many designers. I’m sure you will get the same level of support for your forum once it is implemented. I’m looking forward seeing it and will be among the first to join.

I know I did not get much traction when I started the Designers Network project last year. I’m sure I will encounter a lot of slippery slopes if I try again but I like to see if I can create such community. Using well established system such as WP that this and your site use will no doubt get better support but I would rather stick with ztml since as you have noted I spent years developing it and now it is like part of me.

Yes, this is off topic. It will be my last comment on this topic. Sorry!

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.