Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » Site Specific

how do i use these templates,,,,

(14 posts)
  1. kean

the description says play with them...
    i downloaded then to my pc but then what???

m sorry if i am asking something i should have figured out my my self but i can;'t open these templates onmy pc...
    do i need any software?

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. you can open the templates with any text editor. I recommend notepad++. Or you can use MS Notepad, it comes on all windows machines.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. kean

Hey thanks for replying so fast...

okay if i open the "default" file thru notepad then code is visible.. even if i make some changes how do i run it and see them>?

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. papab30

Kean, if you have visual studio which you mentioned in another post, you can use the feature of open web site under the File option.

To begin with, unzip the file that you downloaded. If you're using Windows XP or newer, unzipping a file is as easy as double clicking the folder. Drag everything that you find inside this zip folder to your desktop. If you have dragged out a folder, then this is going to be easy.

Second, open visual studio if that's what you already have (if you don't have a copy of it, you can download one from http://Microsoft.com/web/ and grab the web platform installer) and go under File > Open Web Site. A dialog box will show up. click on the desktop icon and find the folder that you just dragged out of the zip file. You will want to open this folder.

After a few moments, you should now see a folder and file view of the web site in your soution explorer. To test this web site out on a server, hold down the control key, and press F5. This will start Visual Studio's development webserver and open up your default browser with the default page of the site.

Now you can double click on any of the pages in the solution explorer and open that page in the editor window of visual studio. Change same text there, hit the single disk icon (also called save), go back to your browser window and hit F5 to refresh the browser. You should now be able to see you changes. Keep doing this until you have something that you like.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. kean

hey thnks a lot.. ur steps were really clear and helpful.. I am able to open the templates in VS. Now can i just edit it and add controld to it?

can i just go on and add logic to these controls just as if i designed the page thru visual studio huh?
    thnks once more..:)

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. kean

okay i have opened these templates but i am not able to connect any control placed on it to code.
    (in Visual studio) Means i placed a button on it. then i added app_code folder-> created a class file (.cs) and in it i want to write the logic for button click,... but all that happenes on clicking that button is i am taken to html code. HELP!

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. wfiedler

Kean,

forget Dreamweaver and Visual Studio!

Learn (X)HTML and CSS here (very important!):
    http://www.w3schools.com/

Download Notepad++ for editing HTML and CSS files:
    http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Upload your files with FileZilla to your host/provider/server with:
    http://filezilla-project.org/

It's easy like that!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. papab30

No you won't just be able to add controls to the HTML page and have them work directly with a .cs file. You will have to convert the page to a .aspx file, much as you would as if you were doing this from scratch.

Easiest thing to do is this:

First make a master page. Copy the HTML from between the body tags from you template that you downloaded from here and paste that into the master page. Make sure that you keep the form tags (must have those to make asp.net controls work). Take out the fake content from the main section of the template html markup and replace that with the <asp:ContentPlaceHolder> tags from the master page. Copy and paste the links for any style sheets from the template page into the head of the master page. You should now be able to make a content page based off of your master page which will have all of the correct markup of the template and be ready for any content that you will want to place into the page. If you place an asp.net control on your content page you should now be able to access the events via the code behind associated with it.

This is not a perfect process. You will notice that you might have to play where you are placing the <asp:ContentPlaceHolder> tags, and you will also want to take global navigation, headers and footer and what not and make those into user controls. But you should be able to start to see how to use these templates.

Remember, these templates are just the starting place for a site. There is work involved to make what you want, but to get a nice layout quickly, I can't recommend a better way than to use one of these downloaded templates.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. kean

okay..
    i have made progress... i have created my master page and then one content page..

I am not able t figure our where to place the link of reference to css sheet in this content page.. as i created a table and there ws lots of emepty space in rows/colums.. so i thouhgt by using css i could assign its's height and width..... but somehow its not recognising it..Can somebody help me out with this issue?

i tried using cell spaceing, cell padding rowspan etc in html to no use...

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. papab30

If you could place the raw html that you're working with someplace where it can downloaded then we might be able to help you on the technicals of the issue that you're speaking about.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. kean

okay. i solved the issue.. just in case somebody else is stuck at same place.. put all the code of content page in second <asp:content page code>. i.e. of body and place the link of reference for style sheet there too. That way the content page can acess the style sheet. cheers:)

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. papab30

Actually your stylesheets should go in the head section of the master page and not in the content page that you created from the master.

Site.Master
    <head><link rel=stylesheet /></head>
    <body>
    <contentPlaceHolder></contentPlaceHolder>
    </body>

Default.aspx which inherits from master
    <contentPlaceHolder>any specific HTML or content you want to show</contentPlaceHolder>

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. kean

It was thier already & i dunno why but it was not using the style until i gave the referenc ein content page too.. anyway it also useful if we are using seperate style sheets for different pages :)

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. papab30

Seperate style sheets for different pages is entirely up to the designer. Most would say that this is not the correct way to design a site, as a stylesheet is meant to be reused through out the site to give the content a common look and feel.

But then again, there are sections of a site that may look very different from each other and would need to have specialized style sheets. Good luck on which ever way that you go with this.

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.