Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » Site Specific

[closed]

Departure from OD

(53 posts)

Tags:

1. Sean
    Founding Member

Hey everyone. As most of the long time users and supporters of Open Designs know, I've been trying to leave as a site admin for a good 6-8 months now. I've set some deadlines to step down and for one reason or another I'm still here as an admin.

The time has come for me to put my foot down and rain or shine, actually step down as an admin. My last day as a site admin for Open Designs will be Saturday January 31, 2009. That will give me enough time to tie up some loose ends and make sure someone else is in place to take over my place.

I will still be somewhat active around the forums and help when I can but I've got other projects that need my attention and are a lot less stressful for me and actually make me happy.

A few people have already expressed an interest in being an admin for OD. I will be contacting a few select people to see if they want to take over my position come February 2009. I'm personally going to select the person who takes over my spot. Why? Because I want it to be someone who I trust and will do their best to try and help OD continue on.

A few of the core design authors around OD are aware that I've been working on another design submission site and have been part of a private beta to get things running smooth. Once I step down from OD, I will make a public announcement on the OD forums about the new site, who I'm working with, etc that way for the others who would like to submit designs to the new project can. The more exposure the designers can get, the better which is a main reason for Open Designs and the other design sites to be on the web.

If you are part of the private beta, do not disclose the URL or site yet. Please wait for me to make the public announcement.

Before people get all upset and in a rage that I started a new project, I want to make it very clear that no design submissions or user data has been moved from OD to this new project. Unlike when OSWD split and OWD started, everything on the new site was submitted by people who want to be apart of a new project and get exposure for their designs.

I also want to make it very clear that my new design project isn't intended to be a replacement for OD... it's just another method to help support the wonderful designers who provide free design templates for people to use. The site will be free to use and will not cost design authors or users anything to be part of the site. You don't even need an account to download designs, only to submit designs.

Also, the designers who are currently a part of the private beta were invited and had the choice to submit designs or not. The same will go for anyone else when the site is made public. If you want to submit designs or download designs, it will be done by your own free will and choice. No pressure. Some people will like the site and some will not. That's life.

I'm tired of trying to please everyone. Since my days on OSWD dating back to 2002, then OWD and of course OD, I'm burnt out. The new project is a breath of fresh air for me and some of the designers.

The new design site does not - and will not - have a forum, only design submissions, design downloads and a blog to keep people up to date on things. Nice, simple and straight to the point.

Ok, I am done with this giant post. In the coming days, I'll be contacting a few people who I feel would make a good admin. Once I hear back from them, and if they are interested, I will post a list of people and maybe we can have a vote to get some community involvement but again, the list of possible replacements is going to be hand picked by me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. NickyD

Well, personally, I want to thank Sean for all he gave here. I enjoy this site a lot, and know it is thankless job being an admin here. You're not going to please everyone. Good luck with the new site Sean.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. papab30

Good luck with your new adventure. Hope it works out well for you.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. arwen54

For me as well, I know how hard it is to be an admin in a community as large as this one. I think Sean has done an outstanding job and I thank him for not only being a great admin here, but for all the help he has given me personally.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. tomw

Good luck Sean. It is comforting knowing that you will still be somewhat active and help out.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. Thanks for all your service Sean, OD is great and I am sure that it will still stay great too. In an odd way, I think you stepping down is a good step. Don't get me wrong I think you've done awesome, but because it gives the site a "breath of fresh air" too. I myself have been stuck with more responsibility for a website longer than I wanted to be, and it almost burned me out. I totally trust and support the successor that you choose. I'm glad to hear that you will be around still. Thanks again!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. jelontok

the title of the post really alarmed me. i thought it's another "split-up". anyways, i've been a long time member / lurker here in OD and i've seen the great contribution that sean made to OD. good luck on your new project! :bakie:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. coollew

I would also like to thank you Sean for all your hard work. Im sure your next venture will be a success. And I am very glsd to hear that your having fun with it. :bakie::bakie::bakie:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. Colum McGaley

Sean, I know the admins and staff would be great selections! I can't wait to see your new project. and I still hope you will still be (somewhat) active on this forum! :) Good Luck!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. Gnome

Well, good luck Sean. The mod team will continue to moderate.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. Thank You for everything Sean. No matter how rough and rowdy things get here sometimes, we all appreciate the work you have done. Thanks Again
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. Sean
    Founding Member

Thank you everyone for all your support. As mentioned, I'll still be active around the OD forums and lend a helping hand when I can even after I am not an admin anymore.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. wfiedler

Thanks for all Sean. You were a great admin, always helpful, friendly and patient. Good luck with your project and for the future. 1000 :bakie:s
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. Sean
    Founding Member

So much for my plan of picking someone to take my place as an admin. In the past 24 hours Joe (LobsterMan) has taken over full control of Open Designs. See the latest OD news post for more information.

Basically I no longer have admin access to the site, so if you want to be an admin or as Joe is calling it a "peace maker" for OD, you'll need to get into contact with Joe directly.

If you'd like to talk with me, you can email me directly at:

bloggingrockstar [at] gmail [dot] com

As mentioned before, I'll still be around the OD forums but my offer to help when I had time is out the window since I can't do anything around the site.

Thank you again to everyone for your many years of continued support.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. arwen54

wtf! well, Sean, I for one, appreciate all that you have done for us here at OD. Sorry that your final days here were cut short! I'm not sure what to think about that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. tomw

This doesn’t sound good for OD. Joe could disappear again and that will be the end of OD. Just like the other two sites.

Good luck with your new project. I’m not a designer but if you need help with some coding I can help.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. Christopher

I came to do some design approvals (about all I do these days apart from checking up on the forum) and found WordPress had been upgraded to the latest release and BBPress installed... and am also in the same position as Sean, zero admin access to the site.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. This is total crap. Sean has been doing everthing around here, and now joe can jsut con and lock him and Christopher out of everything. This is rediculous. Makes forming a new site (with community forum) sound like a great idea! Joe, this is disgusting.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. Unfortunately, this will be the case for any community site unless you form a non-profit, create the necessary board of people, and put the domain name under their control. Unfortunately, there is time, effort, AND cost involved in that (and not just up front, there are filings that must be kept up, etc).

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. Dean

Wow - not looking good; has Joe just decided to take control of OD completely?
    I notice the footer has changed, and now has a different link (IIRC, it's one of Joe's sites?).

Also, the site's now hosted at MediaTemple... was anyone informed of any of the changes prior to it happening? Or did Joe just up the site and move it?

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. LobsterMan
    Key Master

Everyone, calm down. As those of you that have been around long enough remember, I created this site from scratch. While things were handled perfectly in Sean's hands (and Chris before he got busy or whatever) I let myself get busy too. I've been talking to Sean for a while about different options for the better future of OD. Once it was final that Sean is leaving, I felt it would be a total waste not to get up and fix things. If anyone has any suggestions for the improvement of this site, as usual, let us and the world know.

As we all know, we've been having issues with server performance for a while. Both because of server access issues, and poorly written code. All that is being addressed now, with a new server and code tweaks.

Best of luck to Sean on his new project.

Oh, and we do need moderators if anyone want's to help keep peace in the forums ;)

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. Sean
    Founding Member

@Dean: As I mentioned a couple comments above within the past 24 hours Joe (LobsterMan) has taken over full control of Open Designs. See the latest OD news post for more information, but yes, everything, domain, hosting, admin access, etc is now 100% in Joe's hands.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. lol. Whatever. I'm still interested in moderating...

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. Gnome

Shouldn't Christopher have been involved in that decision? I'd like to help with the re-design.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. NickyD

I would still like to continue moderating.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. uberlemurguy

I think Chris should have the keys, just incase and thanks for changeing the text color.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. LobsterMan
    Key Master

Chris has the keys.
    As for moderators, contact me off forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. Jan

While one part of me wants to continue being a moderator, the more sensible one has to admit that I have been a bad mod, disappearing for lengths of time. So I think I should step down and let someone else have a chance.

However, I would very much like to remain involved with the community and the site, and am always willing to help out in any way required (including moderating if you're short of staff. I promise to behave!).

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. Unfortunately, this will be the case for any community site unless you form a non-profit, create the necessary board of people, and put the domain name under their control. Unfortunately, there is time, effort, AND cost involved in that (and not just up front, there are filings that must be kept up, etc).

I just thought I should clarify this statement. I don't really think this is a BAD thing, just a fact. I stand by my position that a site can be REALLY GREAT, be FOR the community, and still be OWNED by a person (or company).

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. Ainslie

Welcome back Joe.

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.