Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » Site Specific

Participation Rate

(59 posts)

No tags yet.

1. copsworld

Yeah I see it now and agree with you Sean.. I think you will find that the majority of the users who have not posted anything will not respond to emails, but IMO it is right to try.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. bluecafe

What if a member is only registered to submit a design now and then but does not deliver one design per year? Then they would need to re-register if they do not deliver at least one design per year? I think one year is a very short period for deleting accounts.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. acousticsam

Posted By: SeanI'm talking about users who have only registered an account and not posted, commented or submitted a design.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I get it now, and I agree. If they've done absolutely nothing with their account, then I say it's fine to drop them from the database. Send a warning email, or don't send one. I don't really think it's a huge issue.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Sean
    Founding Member

Posted By: bluecafeWhat if a member is only registered to submit a design now and then but does not deliver one design per year? Then they would need to re-register if they do not deliver at least one design per year? I think one year is a very short period for deleting accounts.
    As I mentioned before, this wouldn't matter. If you only submit one design and never come back again, your account would stay on the site because there is content tied to it.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Sean
    Founding Member

@acousticsam: I'm glad you understand what I was getting at now :bigsmile:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Outsider

Is it causing any speed issues with the site having all those registered names? If not, I don't see why they even need to be purged. Maybe a 3 year inactive purge done every year?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. fernbap

Outsider has a point. As far as i know, a thousand records in a MySQL database is close to nothing as to CPU load or performance. They also don't occupy anything drastic in terms of space. So, why the need to do anything with them?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Jeremy

why not? *shrug*
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Sean
    Founding Member

As I mentioned a few times already in my previous comments, the purpose is to clean out the database, even though MySQL can hold a lot of information, when it comes time to optimize things code wise, it sure helps having things like un-used accounts removed. The majority of our back end, including our user registration/login logic is handled by WordPress. There are a lot of new things in the 2.6.x release which would help speed things up for OD. However we are running the latest stable and secure version of the 2.0.11 branch of WordPress. There are a lot of database changes, improvements, etc which is one of many reasons why I want to remove the accounts as I described above. It would help make a cleaner and smoother upgrade, plus there are some other 'secret sauce' things we have going on for improvements to OD, so any fluff if you will that we can remove will help in the long run. If anyone else has questions, please take a moment to read all my previous comments. I'm tired of repeating myself on this issue. If you have something new to add or ask, then feel free to comment.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Gnome

This would be my take on it: remove accounts only under the following conditions: - have not logged in in over 12 months (this is important, because our logged-in lurkers want the convenience of knowing which threads they have or have not read) - have never posted a comment or thread, or a comment on a news article - have never posted a design Sean: here is a challenge for you: make threads with comments not yet read by any staff show up with blue background for staff members. It is no wonder you are tired of repeating yourself, since not everyone reads all the comments before they post.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Sean
    Founding Member

@gnome: Your take on this is very similar to mine. I'll run some database checks over the weekend to see which 'non used' accounts have actually logged in as you mention for the past 12 months. That might lower the amount of user accounts that get removed. As for your challenge, that sounds like something we can put together with a little thought since staff members have a different member/access level. We'll need to come up with some logic to look at the member access level and also threads with comments not yet read by any staff show up with blue as you suggest. We already have something similar site wide for logged in users, so with a little tweaking, I think it can happen. And yes, people need to read all comments before they chime in so they get all the information from the entire conversation. I am SO... tired of repeating myself.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. SeanPollock

I was going to say exactly what gnome said for the criteria. I also think an opendesigns newsletter is a great idea... Although, to be honest not too many newsworthy things happen here...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. arwen54

I have to jump in here and say something. As some of you know I'm now focusing more on affiliate marketing and creating my own products to market. What does that got to do with anything, you ask? A lot! I've learnt how valuable a list is for one thing. Look, Open Designs has a huge database of registered users. Whether they are active or not, that is still very valuable. I mean you have a list! You have their email addresses. You could start a newsletter and you could actually get them coming back...and increase activity here as well as possibly earn some income for OD. Do not delete their accounts just because you think it will clean out the database. Not to be rude, but does having thousands of inactive users in the database cause a problem? I think not! So be smart..use the list!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. Trin

Lists make sense for business sites, but I would imagine that trying to monetize OD by filling newsletters with affiliate links would be off-putting to many members. Maybe I'm in the minority with my opinion, or perhaps I misunderstood your post.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Colum McGaley

upgrade the damn wordpress! Then lets see if we need to remove inactive users.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. arwen54

Posted By: TrinLists make sense for business sites, but I would imagine that trying to monetize OD by filling newsletters with affiliate links would be off-putting to many members. Maybe I'm in the minority with my opinion, or perhaps I misunderstood your post.
    no, I don't mean that OD should should send out newsletters with a ton of affiliate links, but it wouldn't hurt to have another way to communicate with users besides the forum. A monthly newsletter filled with informative tidbits, is just another way to keep in touch with the users and it doesn't hurt to promote some products or services that add value to the community, like for example, maybe a list of members who offer hosting, members who port templates into WordPress themes. There is nothing wrong with helping each other prosper. Anyway, I am not admin here, nor am I a mod. Probably that is a good thing, as my opinions are not always popular :wink:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. papab30

Posted By: arwen54Look, Open Designs has a huge database of registered users. Whether they are active or not, that is still very valuable. I mean you have a list ! You have their email addresses. You could start a newsletter and you could actually get them coming back...and increase activity here as well as possibly earn some income for OD. Do not delete their accounts just because you think it will clean out the database. Not to be rude, but does having thousands of inactive users in the database cause a problem? I think not! So be smart..use the list!
    This is totally true about what I was saying earlier. In the past eight months I have worked on three different social networking projects. Every single one of these projects were just dying to have users. Open Designs has thousands of users, email addresses.....not trying to do something with these accounts, in fact wanting to just throw them away is just a waste. Contact them, entice them, make them want to keep visiting. You got them here once, you should want to keep them coming back.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Sean
    Founding Member

@arwen54: The suggestions you make about a newsletter promoting who offer hosting, members who port templates into WordPress themes could be done with a monthly forum post. Newsletters are ok, but we would also need a way for people to opt in or out and right now we don't have that... all the 1,000's of users who have signed up for OD didn't agree to receiving a newsletter, so for us to just send out something might cause issues. Then we would also need someone to maintain the list and putting together the newsletter. I guess this needs more thought but my gut feeling is a newsletter for OD wouldn't offer anything new that couldn't be done in a forum post.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Sean
    Founding Member

@papab30: We have 1,000's of users who are registered that haven't logged into the site in over 12 months. How are we to entice them? If they don't see something on the site in either designs or in the forum, we don't have much else to offer them.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. Sean
    Founding Member

I'm doing some testing of WordPress 2.6 on our development server with a backup of our current user base and content to see how things run and work. Once I talk with Joe and Christopher and we do some additional testing, we can post a new thread about what will happen next.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. arwen54

Posted By: Sean@arwen54: The suggestions you make about a newsletter promoting who offer hosting, members who port templates into WordPress themes could be done with a monthly forum post. Newsletters are ok, but we would also need a way for people to opt in or out and right now we don't have that... all the 1,000's of users who have signed up for OD didn't agree to receiving a newsletter, so for us to just send out something might cause issues. Then we would also need someone to maintain the list and putting together the newsletter. I guess this needs more thought but my gut feeling is a newsletter for OD wouldn't offer anything new that couldn't be done in a forum post.
    fiddlesticks..you are completely missing the point, Sean...and a monthly newsletter is not that hard to manage. Just google WordPress Newsletter plugin and you'll find several easy solutions that automate the whole process Whatever you do decide is no problem...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. Sean
    Founding Member

@arwen54: I'm not missing your point. Something you (and a few others who commented) didn't seem to catch was my question asking what would we put in a news letter that couldn't be a post and/ or thread in the forum? My personal issue with your suggestion of adding every single registered user to an email list for what ever purpose is no one opted in (or out) for being on a mailing list when signing up and/ or registering for an account on Open Designs, so there will be a lot of clean up to be done, which is what I am trying to do in the first place. So far, I've tracked down 2,000+ accounts that haven't been logged into for 12+ months. I have also sent emails to all of them without any reply so far (been 48 hours and counting). I'm giving the 2,000 +/- users I emailed a week to reply and if they don't, they'll be removed from the database and can register if they choose at a later time. In the end, I probably won't have much to do with all of this sort of thing anyway as my time as an OD admin is coming to a close pretty soon, so the other admins and my replacement (to be decided) can figure it out.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. arwen54

Sean, it's no big deal really, just making suggestions...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  24. Sean
    Founding Member

@arwen54: Not a problem. Suggestions are always good. If you (and others) read all my comments, you'll see I'm trying to flush this out a bit... whatever ends up happening, it's not going to be an over night thing. Bakies for all :bakie:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. Jeremy

I say we sacrifice a lamb to the web gods and ask for guidance. *bows to our w3c overlord*
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. Sean
    Founding Member

Posted By: JeremyDI say we sacrifice a lamb to the web gods and ask for guidance. *bows to our w3c overlord*
    Har-har Jeremy. :bigsmile: How about we sacrifice the 1,989 users I emailed (48 hours ago) who haven't logged into there accounts in 12+ months? That's what will happen if I don't get any replies within the next 5-7 days... to the chopping block :devil: I'm also working on a way for users to opt in or out of future Open Design correspondence if we choose to have some sort of a email newsletter or site survey.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. Gnome

Sean: wont every news-letter plugin come with an opt-out feature for users? I know that in the US it is a requirement for mass emails.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  28. Sean
    Founding Member

@Gnome: Most have an opt in/out feature. Indeed it is a requirement in the USA and a lot of our user/membership base is from the USA, so this is why I want to make sure we have this in place. My plan is if/when I don't hear from the 1,989 users I sent a message to about not logging into there accounts for 12+ months and I remove those accounts, we'll have a cleaner list of users to send out another message asking them if they opt in or out to receiving emails about new site policy/rule updates, and/or a newsletter type message, etc.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. Matt

Good work Sean, way to take the bull by the horns. You gave these people more than the chance they deserve to keep their accounts by emailing them. And if the newsletter thing does become a reality, I wouldn't mind helping by adding my 2 cents :wink:
    Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.