Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » Site Specific

Kontera ContentLink ad system

(110 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Sean
    Founding Member

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that moments ago the Kontera ContentLink ad system was put into place on the Open Design forums. We've been testing this ad system on a couple other heavy traffic sites and found it's paying really well and sometimes even more then Google AdSense. It's going to take up to 2 weeks from today for the system to completely sync up properly with the forum but it will help generate more funding for contest prizes. It's not intrusive at all. How you'll know it's working is you'll see specific words underlined with 2 lines, almost like a normal link. If you mouse over it, the ad comes up and if it's something you or another user likes, click it and you have just helped raise money for OD. It currently pays between $0.97 - $3.00 USD per click but again, it takes time for it to sync up. If you have a high traffic site, between 250,000 - 500,000 page views a month, this is a really good ad program to check out if you are looking for an easy way to generate revenue. Even if your site does less traffic, get in contact with me and I can refer you to our representative and get you hooked up with a referral code which will also help OD.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. greg

it is insanely annoying...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. refueled

@sean: Cool. Whats the minimum for a referral do you think? (by the way, I dont think its annoying at all.)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Sean
    Founding Member

Hey refueled: I just sent you the referral link via your contact page on OD. @Greg: Why do you find it annoying? You don't have to mouse over the links if you don't want too. This program generates a nice peace of change that will be used to give cash prizes for Open Design contests, so it's a good thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. refueled

@sean: Got it. Thanks.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Sean
    Founding Member

For anyone interested in signing up with this advertising program, use the following referral link and/or mention GeekWithLaptop on the sign up page comments and they will wave the 250,000 page view minimum.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. greg

Posted By: sean@Greg: Why do you find it annoying? You don't have to mouse over the links if you don't want too.
    i find my mouse hand 'wanders' as i'm reading; if i inadvertently hover over one of the double underlined links, my reading is interrupted by a popup. same goes for using the scroll wheel - if you stop scrolling and the cursor happens to hover over some of the required text, the popup appears again.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. wfiedler

I agree with greg, I find it also annoying. I normally hate sites with these kind of pop ups. BUT: If it generates enough money for OD, I can live with that.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. bakercad

I agree with greg and wfiedler. I find it very annoying. On sites that I've viewed in the past, it's also slowed the loading of the site. Not sure if that's a problem with Kontera any more though. But, like Wolfy says....if it is a money maker for OD, I can live with it too. Also, for those who find it annoying and they use Firefox, there's always the NoScript addon, which allows you to block js scripts.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Jan

Posted By: wfiedlerI agree with greg, I find it also annoying. I normally hate sites with these kind of pop ups. BUT: If it generates enough money for OD, I can live with that.
    I agree completely! (By the way, it's a pain if you want to selectively quote text from another person's post because you have plough through a lot of code.)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Sean
    Founding Member

@Greg: What browser and Operating System are you using? I've never seen a mouse wander when this ad system is in place but I will report any issues like this to them and see if there is a fix. I just read over your comment again, and now I understand, when you are reading and use the mouse to follow the text correct? @wfiedler and bakercad: This ad system hasn't even been in place a full 24 hours yet and it's already generated $17.93 USD for Open Designs, which is by far way more in one day then Google AdSense has generated. Would it be fair to give this system a complete 30 day trial and see 1, how much it generates for OD and 2, see if others have the same complaints and/or issues with it?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. wfiedler

Sean, absolutely ok, if it makes money for OD. No problem!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Sean
    Founding Member

I think a 30 day run would be a good test, however, even if it generates a nice chunk of cash for the site, if it annoys to many people, we don't want that either. Lets keep the constructive feedback coming on this.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. bakercad

By no means am I saying that we shouldn't use Kontera. Just saying that I find it annoying. Who cares what I think? :wink:....really. that's a great profit in less than 24 hours. If it keeps coming in...fantastic!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Sean
    Founding Member

@bakercad: actually, many people care what you and others think, which is why OD is doing so well. We really listen to user, member and supporter feedback. :bakie:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. bradm81

I haven't been around much, but I gotta say it annoys me a bit as well. I tend to highlight the text a lot as I read it, which makes these things go crazy. It seems to me that it also slows down page loads, not to mention that they linger on mouseover like a second too long (not sure if this can be changed). Edit (Few More thoughts): I understand the desire to make money, but I wonder how much money we need for contests. I think most of the designers here are in it more for the creativity and community than the money. If we need it for hosting, that's one thing. And I'm not against you guys making some cash for yourselves for all you do, but if we just end up trying to make as much as possible, that creates a different relationship between the admins and the community (moving toward that other site). I'm a Halo fan and I've been impressed with the top Halo fan site halo.bungie.org which gets a lot of traffic and could make gobs with ads, but it has never had a single ad on any page, ever. Now I know we may have more financial needs, so we'll need some ads, but I think that relationship between admins and community is one to shoot for. And one that I know TODC has as its main focus. Just my two cents. Thanks for all the work, Sean and all the other admins and mods.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. zanzibar

Not being a blogger, I don't often voice my opinions online, but as the community would like to hear our thoughts on the new pop up ads, here I am. While I am not against the idea of making some money for contests or whatever, to better improve the site, I personally find any type of pop up extremely annoying. I think a more discreet type of ad, like Adsense, which you can totally ignore if you wish, is a more tasteful way of generating income. This is a great community, keep up the good work.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Sean
    Founding Member

@zanzibar: We already have Adsense up on the site and as I pointed out, in less the 24 hours, this additional ad system is generating more on a per-day basis then Google Adsense has over a two month average. We're not saying this new system will stay up as we are wanting to see the results over the next 30 days but also hear more feedback from users and members of OD. Also, since I put up the referral link, 4 people have signed up, so there is a little bit of support for this system but again, we are only trying it out for 30 days to see the pros and cons of it. In the end, we want a nice balance of generating money for the site and contests but also keeping users and members happy.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Christopher

Thanks for the input so far everybody, keep it coming :) I personally like the adverts, I noticed them on one of Sean's sites a while back and didn't find them obtrusive whatsoever (I thinks its pretty simple to simply ignore the double underlined links if need be anyway). If it's OK with the majority of people, we would like to give it 30 days or so to trial them properly here on Open Designs, and gather a decent amount of feedback and see what it generates cash wise. But as Sean said, if after the 30 days a lot of negative feedback has been voiced and it's simply not wanted, no matter how much money it generates, they will be removed as we obviously don't want to upset people.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. Jeremy

just a suggestion, but after the 30 days, could we do a public vote on it?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. Sean
    Founding Member

@JeremyD: after 30 days a public vote would be good i think.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. Gnome

Christopher: I noticed them on Sean's site a while back too. Sean: the 30 day trial will tell us much. I would rather see a larger amount of adsense present, but time will tell. If someone wants to modify the quote plugin for vanilla to cull those links, it would be nice. For those who say that we don't need the money: we could start running some pretty sweet contests, or invest the money in some ads of our own.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. Sean
    Founding Member

@gnome: Indeed, in the next 30 days we'll know more but so far on the money side of things it's pretty good and on user feedback, it's about 50/50 right now. As for vanilla, what do you mean "cull the links" from the quote plugin?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  24. Gnome

I mean to remove the ad-induced links from any quoted text.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. Sean
    Founding Member

Ah. Ok. I can adjust the ad code for that... can you give me an example post where this is happening? Send it to me via email and not post it.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. kirby145

I don't see the ads anywhere. and yes i know what they are supposed to look like. -Firefox
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. null

Posted By: bradm81... I understand the desire to make money, but I wonder how much money we need for contests. I think most of the designers here are in it more for the creativity and community than the money.
    I agree... just as long as the contest money doesn't overtake the spirit of the site. Would i be right to say a small percentage of members will be the ones who will gain from the money? ie contestants. And whats wrong with having a comp without any prize money? There could be other ways to reward the perosn like a feature promotion/link on this site of their website maybe? But like everyone here I will stick with this site regardless.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  28. Sean
    Founding Member

@perthmetro: money will not take over the spirit of the site, however money can be used for other promotional things besides contest prizes. some examples, it could be used to get stickers made, t-shirts, or a whole list of other cool and nifty things. as for other rewards or promotions, the designers get promotion for providing designs to opendesigns.org because the designs they create get featured on the OD home page, their profile page as well as on the attackr.com site right sidebar as well. designers and moderators also get link promotion on the board member page as well. luckily for now, our hosting is donated, Joe, Christopher and myself have donated hundreds and thousands of man hours in coding, running and promoting the site... and yes our members as well help promote the site... yes we can have contests without cash prizes... if we end up getting some promotional things made (this is in the works actually), those can be prizes as well... but various things do require money, which is why the various ad systems are in place on the site... the one mentioned in this thread is just another one to try out and see what we can gain from it.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. Sean
    Founding Member

@kirby145: do you see any words on the site underlined with two lines? if so, those are ad links... mouse over them and you'll see.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. null

Posted By: sean@perthmetro: money will not take over the spirit of the site, however money can be used for other promotional things besides contest prizes.... yadda yadda
    I really admire what you and the others have done for this site. And doing so in your own time... if anyone deserves to make a little bit of $$ it is you guys. At the end of the day I think Sean and the others have this site well in tune with the spirit of the site. In the ideal world a silent cash full partner would be ideal. The fact that you guys really listen to all us though is very encouraging. Us observers also need to accept that that the ones who do all the hard work need to have that option that they feel is needed for the site and that we need to respect that to a large degree. Two thumbs up from me.
    Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.