Designer? Programmer? Enthusiast? Join Open Designs Now!

Open Designs Forum » Site Specific

Google Adsense & Open Designs

(49 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Christopher
  • Latest reply from Mike Weiss

No tags yet.

1. Christopher

Soon we shall be adding Google Adsense to this site to bring in some money which we can then put towards using as prize money for contests etc. This is just a heads up and also a request for your reactions to this, any objections to adding Google Adsense? Below is an image which shows where it will be added, and as you can see its unobtrusive and doesn't get in the way of the designs. Obviously they (the adverts) will be relevant targeted ads, this is just a quick example by me using a full print screen and a quick adsense block... click the image to enlarge. Open Designs With Adsense Preview edit: fixed the link for the full size image
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. robbie

I think it's a good idea, like you said to raise money, and some people will find some sites they have been looking for. So, no objections from my side, keep up the good work.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. jelontok

that's a great idea. i think text-link-ads can also be an alternative.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. Outsider

Sounds good to me. The bills need to be paid somehow. :bigsmile:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. I also think that Text-link-ads is a good option because they pay you at the end of each month regardless of the amount you have earned. For AdSense you have to wait until you reach 100$, even though I'm pretty sure this site can easily reach that amount of money in not so much time. I hate ads, but money gives the easiest and most effective support, so go ahead :D
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. refueled

Sounds great. I hope the three admins will take a percentage for all the work they have put into this community.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. Gnome

I think that adsense and TLA are both great ways to generate revenue, although most people prefer TLA over adsense. Anyone who has strong negative opinions regarding adverts will just use adblock , so they won't see them anyways.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. Jan

I think it's a good idea. The ads won't get in the way of anyone. The whole concept of this community is great, but the bills still need to be paid!
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. Jeremy

I agree that there's more money to be made through TLA than Adsense. I know adsense's colors and stuff can be changed, but can TLA's? if so, I think we should go w/ TLA. Even though they're a bit slower when it comes to set up compared to Adsense.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. Christopher

Well there's nothing stopping us from running both anyway. By the way, going by the estimates provided by the Google Adsense advisor (for lack of a better word, not sure what they're officially called) we can easily make more from Adsense than TLA. A lot of you aren't used to Adsense on highly populated sites so I think, in my opinion, that some of you don't realise just how much you can earn from running Adsense, and prefer the "easy" upfront text link ads way of money.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. Ainslie

Who is going to look after the money and how do you intend to account for it?
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. SunRise

Since there's no OD owner (right?) any money raised by ads would help us as members since the money would help us do more things as a community. Its the same thing as if a school does a fund-raiser or the government raises the taxes, except that ads don't cost us any money and they shouldn't be a problem. As long as the money stays with the community this sounds great!:bakie: Happy that people are back again (where were you guys?), SunRise
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. refueled

edit- removed my original statement. decided it wasnt as funny as I thought.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. Ainslie

:bigsmile: I'm not sure that is a job I would want even if I was paid to do it!
    Posted 4 years ago #
  15. refueled

@ainslie: treasurer? yeah I know. sort of why I removed my original statement. :bigsmile:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. Ainslie

That's the problem. Where do you put the money, who looks after it and how do you show the community where it has gone?
    Posted 4 years ago #
  17. LobsterMan
    Key Master

The 3 admins (Sean, Christopher and Myself) will all have full access to the adsense account. We will report to wider board and the community.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  18. arwen54

I have absolutely no objection to this site using Adsense. Given the amount of traffic this site probably gets, it can only help. Running a site like this costs big money.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  19. Robobuilder

This sounds great. I would suggest that a financial "report" be published twice a year, just to keep the members informed.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  20. I have no problem with you putting adsense on your site. I also think that it's no one's business what the financial side of this site is, except the owner of the site, and anyone they choose to give that information to. As far as I know, that's LobsterMan, and it should be his prerogative (not his duty) to share that info at will.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  21. That may have come off as rude. I just mean to say that I don't think the finances are any of our (the regular users/members) business. If he chooses to share that info, great.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  22. Jeremy

i don't think it should be the duty of anyone to post financial information, it's just that i think people would be more willing to donate if they could look at a report or something and see where it is their money would be going.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  23. refueled

I agree (with aaroncampbell), members really dont need to know how much money OD makes off of Adsense or TLA, if TLA is ever used.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  24. Neuen
    Administrator

I am going to have to say that Adsense is the way to go for OpenDesigns. OpenDesigns has grown in to an extreamly high traffic site, new people find this site everyday and the great thing is they keep coming back. TLA is a great program for those who want to start out advertising, but not have to worry about the whole "am I getting enough clicks" dealio. Once a site hits so much traffic then it is time for it to go on the Payper click deal, or sign on with a large advertising company that can promise a large sum of money for ad placement. The reason being is that when you are with a company like TLA you have what is called a earnings cap: you can only make so much money a month. On the other hand with Adsense we have the potential to make more than what that cap would be.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  25. yugnats

i personally don't mind the idea of adsense, etc but i'm curious about this statement from karen to be honest:
    Posted By: arwen54Running a site like this costs big money.
    i thought the new sponsorship deal was supposed to solve operating costs so i'm assuming she means contests, etc? if one of the admins feels more comfortable emailing me about this go for it.
    Posted By: JeremyDi don't think it should be the duty of anyone to post financial information, it's just that i think people would be more willing to donate if they could look at a report or something and see where it is their money would be going.
    i also personally don't think its required to post the finances but as a moderator of this site i feel at least the mods should be privy to the financial information.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  26. Robobuilder

My idea about the report was strictly for the purpose of keeping the members informed. Not that I don't trust the admins, they're great, but it would keep them accountable to someone. This might help eliminate problems that caused the creation of this community. I hope that you can see my perspective. :bakie:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  27. Ainslie

I'm not calling into question the honesty of the admins, but this community was launched as an open community so that it belongs to the community. Unless something has changed, it doesn't belong to LobsterMan, Christopher or Sean, it belongs to each end every one of us. Therefore each and everyone of us has a right to know what is happening.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  28. Gnome

I liked it when Sean would just post the running total in the 'Donations' thread. That worked well. Once the ads are at full steam ahead, we can hopefully start up regular contests.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  29. Sean
    Founding Member

The idea behind adsense revenue would be to have contest prize money. The hosting is being donated, so we are covered there. As gnome mentioned, I or Christopher or Joe could post monthly or semi annual reports on what the site is earning... shoot... it will be easy to know once we post a contest with prize money attached to it :)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  30. It's indeed a good idea :)
    Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.